Walter Scott, Jr. College of Engineering

Master of Science Plan B

Master of Science Plan B (non-thesis) Requirements


Courses that are required for an undergraduate degree in civil engineering may not be used by civil engineering graduate students to satisfy graduate requirements. No lower-division (100-200 level) courses may be used to satisfy graduate program requirements, although they may be included as background courses.

  1. A minimum of 32 semester credits of approved graduate work are required, at least half of which must be in regular graduate-level civil engineering courses.
  2. An engineering report is required.  The combination of Independent Study (CIVE695) focusing on the development of the engineering report and supervised college teaching (CIVE584 or CIVE684), may account for up to 3 of the 32 credits.
  3. A maximum of 3 credits of Independent Study (e.g. CIVE695) in addition to the engineering report may be allowed.
  4. A minimum of 24 semester credits must be earned at Colorado State University, 21 of which must be earned after admission to the Graduate School (see Work at Other Institutions and Transfer of Graduate Credit). Credits used for one master’s degree may not be used for a second master’s degree.
  5. A minimum of 16 semester credits in graduate-level courses (500 and above) must be earned at Colorado State University. Of these 16 credits, at least 12 credits must be in regular graduate-level courses.
  6. A final examination will cover the engineering report and course work.

Recent Examples of Plan B Reports