We are hosting several virtual information sessions this fall to help you learn about our degree programs, the application process, and how to craft a strong application. Click the button to review all available sessions and register to receive a Zoom link.
The GRE is no longer required for domestic and international students effective Spring 2024.
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Colorado State University offers a Master of Engineering (M.E.), Master of Science (M.S.), and Doctoral (Ph.D). Reach out to the Graduate Advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org) to learn more about our graduate programs!
We invite any persons who earned a prior degree with a GPA > 3.3/4.0 to apply to our doctoral program free of cost. Applicants applying for a Master of Science degree with the intention of continuing for a Ph.D. are also eligible for the Department to pay their application fee. All you need to do is apply for 2024 and submit all required documents. If you are recommended for admission, the Department will pay your application fee. Please ignore application payment reminders.
Required Documents for Application
- Application fee: $60 non-refundable application fee for domestic students or $70 fee for international students
- Official transcripts of all previously earned credits: One official original transcript from each college or university attended should be sent to the Office of Admissions and must include all previous undergraduate and graduate work. Any document you upload is considered unofficial. Transcripts are not required from current CSU students. International students are required to provide official English translations of all transcripts, diplomas, and graduation certificates in addition to the originals.
- Three letters of recommendation: Letters must be uploaded directly to the online application system from the recommending party. Recommendations should be from individuals who can accurately evaluate your skills as a student, engineer, scientist, and/or researcher.
- Statement of Purpose: There are several required short answer questions under the supplemental material section of the application. The questions are required and have a word limit.
- Current resume
- TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores (for international applicants): International applicants must meet English proficiency requirements as determined by the Colorado State University Graduate School here
Submit English proficiency scores directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions at Colorado State University, 1062 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1062. The institution code is 4075. Photocopies will not be accepted.
In general, students applying to the Ph.D. program should have a prior master degree. Students without a master degree but have significant research experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
In very rare cases the Department is willing to consider an applicant with a GPA below 3.0. In such cases we look very strongly at 5+ years of work experience in Civil Engineering and if the PE exam has been taken and passed.
The Department does not require GRE scores.
Visit our online application to apply.
Submit Application Materials
After submitting your online application and paying your application fee, begin submitting your supporting materials to complete your application.
- Upload a variety of supporting documents directly to your application. As a reminder, the short answer supplemental questions are required. Please adhere to the stated word limit.
- To submit official transcripts, contact your previous institutions to request they submit official transcripts to Colorado State University (use institution code 4075).
- To submit test scores, contact the testing agency to request that scores be sent to Colorado State University (use institution code 4075).
For any documents that cannot be uploaded, submit paper copies directly to the Office of Admissions at:
Colorado State University
Office of Admissions
1062 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1062
Check Your Application Status
View the status of your application at any time to ensure your application checklist is complete or check on updates.
Civil & Environmental Engineering Department Graduate Application Deadlines:
|Term||Apply for Graduate Admission Only||Apply for Graduate Admission and Financial Support|
|Fall (begins late August)||May 1||February 1|
|Spring (begins late January)||December 1||October 1|