Dr. Haonan Chen
Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Haonan Chen has been an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Colorado State University (CSU) since August 2020. He is also an Affiliate Faculty with the Data Science Research Institute (DSRI) at CSU. Before joining the CSU faculty, he worked at the NOAA Physical Sciences Laboratory, first as a National Research Council Research Associate, and then a Radar, Satellite, and Precipitation Research Scientist. His research interests span a broad range of remote sensing and multidisciplinary data science, including radar and satellite observations of natural disasters, polarimetric radar systems and networking, multiscale hydrometeorological data fusion in smart city applications, big data analytics, and deep learning.
He is a member of URSI Commissions F, the American Meteorological Society, the American Geophysical Union, and the IEEE. He has been the first author or co-author on 65 peer-reviewed journal articles, served as an Associate Editor for the Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, URSI Radio Science Bulletin, and IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, and a Guest Editor for Remote Sensing.
- B.S. 2010 Chongqing University of Posts and Telecommunications in Electrical Engineering
- M.S. 2013 Colorado State University in Electrical Engineering
- Ph.D. 2017 Colorado State University in Electrical Engineering
- Big Data and Machine Learning
- Radar and Satellite Hydrometeorology
- Remote Sensing of Natural Disasters
- Cloud/Precipitation Observations and Processes