Walter Scott, Jr. College of Engineering

Travel FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions for Travel

The questions and answers below represent general situations associated with the Engineering Business Office, and may not reflect unique circumstances. Answers are only relevant to the Walter Scott, Jr. College of Engineering, and may not reflect or represent guidelines, procedures or information from other colleges, departments, or units at Colorado State University.

For more specific answers, please contact



Q: When is a pre-trip authorized request required?

A: A pre-trip authorization request is required for all travel outside of Colorado. A pre-trip request is not required for in-state travel unless you require a travel advances and/or are charging airfare to CSU. 

Q: How far in advance should I submit my pre-trip authorization form?

A: You should submit your pre-trip authorization request as soon as possible, but no later than 48 hours prior to departure.

Q: Are there special considerations for international travel?

A: International travel must approved by CSU’s Office of Risk Management prior to departure. The submission and processing of your pre-trip authorization request will trigger the appropriate approval process.

For all international travel, the following details must be provided on your request:

    • Type of accommodation (hotel, motel, barracks, private home, etc.) with dates, address and a telephone number for each place you plan to stay
    • A telephone number where you can be reached while traveling abroad
    • An emergency contact (name, relationship to you, phone number, and email address)

Travelers with student status are required to register with the Office of International Programs (OIP) prior to departure (here).



Q: When is a post-trip reimbursement request required?

A: A post-trip reimbursement document is required if you wish to claim any travel expenses for reimbursement. For in-state travel without airfare or an advance, this is the only request needed.

Q: When should I submit my post-trip reimbursement request?

A: A post-trip reimbursement request is typically submitted after travel has concluded, but can be submitted as soon as you have itemized proof of payment (e.g. receipt) for all of your expenses.

Q: How do I claim meals and incidental expenses?

A: Per Diem is intended to cover meal and incidental expenses and is provided to travelers that have traveled a minimum of two days (based on the rate for your destination). To claim per diem, indicate the number of days you wish to receive per diem for on the post-trip reimbursement request form. Per diem is reduced respectively when meals are provided to you at no-cost. 

Q: What if I lose a receipt for a travel expense?

A: If a receipt is no longer available, please contact fill out a missing receipt form and provide it to EBO.

Q: How long does it take to get reimbursed for travel expenses?

A: Upon submission of your travel reimbursement request form and all receipts, travelers can typically expect to receive their reimbursement in 10-14 business days. Timelines are dependent on time of year and request volume.

Q: How will I receive my travel reimbursement?

A: Employees will receive their reimbursement via direct deposit to the account on file for payroll. Non-employees will receive their reimbursement via check to the address they provide for their TEM profile.


Q: What is a TEM Profile?

A: A Travel Expense Module (TEM) profile captures important information such as the traveler’s contact info, their emergency contacts, default account number, etc. A TEM Profile must be created for each traveler before travel authorizations or reimbursements can be processed.

Q: Can EBO pay for lodging expenses for students?

A: EBO can assist with paying for student lodging expenses if the primary purpose of travel is to benefit the student’s studies. To request payment for student lodging, email with the following information:

    • Hotel name, address and phone
    • Names of guests and the number and type of rooms needed
    • Check in & check out dates
    • Account number