Welcome to your CBE 451/CBE 452 Senior Process and Product Design Resources page. This page is intended as a central repository for many of the resources that you will be needing for this class and may be updated periodically through the year. Here you will find information about the class and some tools to help you through both semesters.
What to Expect
This class is about creating a bridge between your academic and professional career. In this class we will be working on team projects throughout the year. In this class, you will gain experience on how to effectively work as a team, refine your technical writing skills, and utilizing all the tools/skills you have collected the past few years in CBE to solve real world problems.
Your project will culminate in the Spring where you will showcase your work at Engineering Days. Each of your teams will be assigned at least one faculty advisor to help navigate you along the way. This class includes periodic guest speakers from campus, research, and industry to give you a peek into the next steps of your professional career.
We will be having a lot of fun and I am looking forward to getting to work with you all in the upcoming semester.
Engineering Days is where you and your team get the opportunity to showcase your project to the public and industry visitors. You and your team will prepare a poster board about your project and then spend a good portion of the day talking to various visitors about your project. You will also be talking to judges who will evaluate your project and presentation.
Homework and Assignment Policy
Late homework is not accepted and given zero points. Please email me or come see me PRIOR to the deadline to let me know that you will not be able to meet the deadline along with a valid and reasonable reason for missing the deliverable deadline.
- Product & Process Design Principles, Seader, Seider, Lewin & Widagdo, 3rd edition, Wiley, 2009.
- Writing Style and Communication Skills for Undergraduate Engineers, 5th edition, Katie C. Russell, Jeffrey Donnell, Sheldon Jeter, College Publishing, 2022.
- Referenced: Chemical Engineering Design (Sixth Edition), Ray Sinnott, Gavin Towler, 6th edition, Elsevier Ltd, 2020.
- Clean In Place Process Development/Optimization -Ramskeller Brewery Collaboration
- Ethanol Desulfurization Process – Anheuser Busch
- Metakaryote Cancer Stem Cell Growth and Treatment Efficacy Scale-Up
- Nanoemulsion Gel Medical Delivery of Epinephrine
- Non-Intrusive Testing for Food Allergies
- Novel Open Insulin Delivery
- Optimization of Enzymatic Recycling Process of PET
- Pilot Fuel Synthesis for Large Marine Methanol Engines – Caterpillar
- Polyoxymethylene Ethers as a Biofuel Additive
- Scalable Manufacturing of Mesenchymal Stem/Stromal Cells
- Scaled Manufacture of a Novel Hydrogel Composite Elastomer
- Solids Removal from Unitanks – Anheuser Busch
- Tolmar Polymer Development
- Wastewater Virus Trap
- Water Desalination Facility in Rural Baja Mexico
Writing and Presentations
Summary and Report Resources
Colorado State University Library is a wonderful on-campus resource to connect you with background information; help with journal articles, patent, and standards; chemical properties and reactions; hazard, safety, and regulation information; industry supplier information; and managing and formatting your references.
Wellbeing and Teamwork
CSU is a community that cares for you. If you are struggling with drugs or alcohol, and/or experiencing depression, anxiety, overwhelming stress or thoughts of hurting yourself or others please know there is help available.
First, know that you can come see me or someone in the front office if you need help.
The Colorado State University Counseling Services has trained professionals who can help. Contact 970-491-6053 or go to health.colostate.edu/ If you are concerned about a friend or peer tell someone by calling 970-491-1350 to discuss your concerns.