|Professor, Chair of Computer Engineering (CV)
Director of Embedded, High Performance, and Intelligent Computing (EPIC) Lab
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Departments of Computer Science, Systems Engineering (Joint appointments)
Office: B119 Engineering Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Address: 1373 Campus Delivery, Colorado State University
Sudeep Pasricha is a Walter Scott Jr. College of Engineering Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, the Department of Computer Science, and the Department of Systems Engineering at Colorado State University. He is Director of the Embedded, High Performance, and Intelligent Computing (EPIC) Laboratory and the Chair of Computer Engineering.
Short Bio: Prof. Pasricha received the B.E. degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering from Delhi Institute of Technology, India, in 2000, and his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of California, Irvine in 2008. He joined Colorado State University (CSU) in 2008. Prior to joining CSU, he spent several years working in STMicroelectronics and Conexant Inc. He has received funding for his research from various sponsors such as the NSF, SRC, AFOSR, ORNL, DoD, Fiat-Chrysler, and NASA. He has co-authored multiple books, book chapters, and published more than 250 research articles in peer-reviewed journals/conferences, workshops, magazines, and books. He has been part of panels, keynotes, and also organized special sessions and tutorials on his research areas at premier conferences. His contributions have been recognized with several awards for research excellence. He is a Senior Member of the IEEE (Computer Society) and Distinguished Member of the ACM. He is also an ACM Distinguished Speaker (2022-2025 term).
Research Interests: Prof. Pasricha’s research focuses on the design of innovative software algorithms, hardware architectures, and hardware-software co-design techniques for energy-efficient, fault-tolerant, real-time, and secure computing. These efforts span multiple computing scales, from computing chips to embedded/IoT/cyber-physical systems and high performance datacenters. More specific focus areas include: 1) energy-efficient, secure, fault-tolerant, and real-time embedded and IoT systems, (across the domains of automotive, medical, and mobile applications); 2) deep machine learning and multi-objective optimizations for multi-scale computing (embedded, mobile, and cloud datacenter scales); 3) electronic design automation (EDA) and architectures for emerging manycore computing (silicon photonic and advanced networks-on-chip, processing-in-memory, emerging non-volatile memory, 3D integrated circuits); and 4) resource management for high performance computing (exascale datacenters and supercomputers). Some details of ongoing research projects on these themes can be found here. A brief 5 minute overview of the EPIC lab can be found here. Selected videos from various projects can be found here. His academic lineage can be found here.
Awards: Prof. Pasricha has received 15 Best Paper Awards and Nominations at various IEEE and ACM conferences, including at DAC, ASPDAC, NOCS, GLSVLSI, SLIP, AICCSA, and ISQED. Other notable awards include: the 2019 George T. Abell Outstanding Research Faculty Award, the 2016-2018 University Distinguished Monfort Professorship, 2016-2019 Walter Scott Jr. College of Engineering Rockwell-Anderson Professorship, 2018 IEEE-CS/TCVLSI mid-career research Achievement Award, the 2015 IEEE/TCSC Award for Excellence for a mid-career researcher, the 2014 George T. Abell Outstanding Mid-career Faculty Award, and the 2013 AFOSR Young Investigator Award.
Professional Service: Prof. Pasricha is currently the Vice Chair of ACM SIGDA and a Senior Associate Editor for the ACM Journal of Emerging Technologies in Computing (JETC). He is an Associate Editor for the ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems (TECS), IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems (TCAD), IEEE Consumer Electronics (CM), and IEEE Design & Test of Computers (D&T). He also serves as the Chair of the steering committee of IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Computing (TSUSC). He is currently or has been an Organizing Committee Member of several IEEE/ACM conferences such as DAC, ESWEEK, ICCAD, GLSVLSI, NOCS, RTCSA, etc. He has served as the General Chair for various IEEE/ACM conferences such as NOCS, HCW, IGSC, iSES, ICESS, etc.; and as Program Chair for CODES+ISSS, NOCS, IGSC, iNIS, VLSID, HCW, DAC PhD Forum, ICCAD Cadathlon, etc. He is also in the Technical Program Committee of several IEEE/ACM conferences such as DAC, DATE, ICCAD, ICCD, NOCS, etc. He holds an affiliate faculty member position at the Center for Embedded and Cyber-Physical Systems at UC Irvine. He has also received multiple awards for professional service, including the 2019 ACM SIGDA Distinguished Service Award, the 2015 ACM SIGDA Service Award, and the 2012 ACM SIGDA Technical Leadership Award.
Note for Graduate Students:
I have multiple PhD positions available in my lab. In particular, I am looking for students to work on projects related to deep learning for automotive security and environment perception, silicon photonic architectures, mobile indoor navigation, and multicore security. See here for more details.
Recent News (~past year):
- Jun 2022: Joydeep’s work on co-optimizing sensing and deep learning for autonomous vehicles accepted at IEEE DSD 2022
- May 2022: Kamil’s work is a Best Paper Candidate at ACM GLSVLSI’22
- May 2022: Febin and Sanmitra’s works on photonic neural network accelerator design accepted at IEEE ISVLSI 2022
- May 2022: Joydeep’s work on deep learning-based autonomous vehicle perception accepted at IEEE ISVLSI 2022
- Apr 2022: Received a grant from NSF to lead a CSU cyberinfrastructure upgrade for HPC facilities (Source article)
- Mar 2022: Selected as an ACM Distinguished Speaker (2022-2025 term; Source article)
- Mar 2022: I will be giving a talk to the IEEE High Plains Section on Hardware Design for AI acceleration
- Mar 2022: Kamil, Febin, Amin, and Sanmitra’s papers accepted at ACM GLSVLSI 2022 conference
- Feb 2022: Vipin and Sooryaa’s work on Vehicle Cybersecurity Roadmap accepted in IEEE CEM 2022
- Feb 2022: Congrats to Dr. Saideep Tiku for successfully defending his PhD thesis!
- Feb 2022: Work on emerging PIM and interconnects accepted in IEEE Micro 2022
- Jan 2022: Congrats to Dr. Vipin Kukkala for successfully defending his PhD thesis!
- Jan 2022: Sooryaa and Vipin’s work on anomaly detection is a Best Paper Candidate at IEEE/ACM ASPDAC 2022
- Dec 2021: Congrats to Joydeep for successfully defending his MS thesis
- Dec 2021: Congrats to Sooryaa for successfully defending his MS thesis
- Dec 2021: I will be giving a Keynote talk on Silicon Photonics for Deep Learning in Electronic Systems at IEEE iSES 2021
- Dec 2021: Sanmitra’s paper on pruning photonic neural networks accepted at OFC 2022
- Nov 2021: Mirza and Febin’s paper on variation resilient photonic devices accepted in IEEE TCAD journal
- Nov 2021: Saideep’s paper on Siamese neural networks for long-term indoor localization accepted at IEEE/ACM DATE 2022
- Nov 2021: Ebad’s paper on 2.5D chiplet routing accepted at IEEE/ACM DATE 2022
- Oct 2021: I am co-organizing a workshop on EDA and Machine Learning at IPDPS 2022
- Oct 2021: Qi’s paper on cyber-physical systems for underground minder safety to appear at the 2021 NSysS conference
- Oct 2021: I will be giving a talk on ‘Deep Learning at the Speed of Light’ at the CSU BMAC seminar series
- Sep 2021: Praneeth and Febin’s paper on multilevel signaling based photonic networks accepted in ACM JETC journal
- Sep 2021: Sooryaa and Vipin’s paper on automotive anomaly detection accepted in IEEE/ACM ASPDAC 2022
- Sep 2021: Febin’s paper on sparse neural network accelerators accepted in IEEE/ACM ASPDAC 2022
- Sep 2021: I am organizing the NSF Workshop on Sustainable Computing (flyer)
- Aug 2021: I will be giving a Keynote talk on Sustainable Deep Learning in Manycore NoC platforms at NocArc in Oct 2021
- Jul 2021: Vipin and Sooryaa’s paper accepted in ACM/IEEE CODES+ISSS and ACM TECS journal
- Jul 2021: Febin and Mirza’s paper accepted in ACM/IEEE CASES and ACM TECS journal
- Jul 2021: Liping and Saideep’s paper accepted in IEEE Embedded Systems Letters
- Jun 2021: I have been elected to serve as Vice Chair of ACM SIGDA
- May 2021: Ninad’s paper on game-theoretic geo-distributed datacenter management accepted in IEEE TSUSC journal
- Apr 2021: Saideep’s paper on deep learning optimization for indoor localization accepted in ACM TCPS journal
Older News Items can be found here