Dr. Harry W. Edwards
After completion of his doctorate in physical chemistry at the University of Arizona, Harry joined the mechanical engineering faculty at Colorado State University. Previously, he received his baccalaureate degree in chemistry at the University of Nevada, Reno. Harry’s career at CSU spanned 41 years and included teaching, research and service.
At CSU, Harry taught undergraduate and graduate classes in thermodynamics, a graduate-level class in statistical thermodynamics, and developed classes in pollution prevention and air pollution control. For ten years, Harry also taught an evening class in pollution prevention for the Environmental Policy and Management program at the University of Denver.
Harry’s teaching and research interests were often closely related. Sponsored projects include detection of silver in the atmosphere (NSF), sources, transport, and accumulation of lead in the environment (NSF), energy utilization improvement and pollution prevention in manufacturing (DOE), pollution prevention for small businesses (Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment), reduction of nitric oxide by graphite (EPA), catalyzed reduction of nitric oxide (University of Lancaster), reduction of municipal solid waste (EPA Region VIII), zero-gravity aerosol behavior (NASA), and pollution prevention on Tribal campuses (EPA Region VIII).
Harry willingly participated in CSU governance. Some assignments included service on Faculty Council, University Curriculum Committee, and the University Code Committee. He was also active in the Fort Collins community and was appointed by City Council to the Air Quality Advisory Board, the Citizen Review Board, and the Natural Resources Advisory Board. Additionally Harry served as a leader for Financial Peace University. Harry is a 50-year member of the American Chemical Society.
- Ph.D. 1967, University of Arizona – Physical Chemistry
- B.S. 1962, University of Nevada, Reno – Chemistry
Honors and Awards
- 2002 – Air & Waste Management Association for Service
- 2002 – U.S. DOE, Industrial Assessment Center Award
- 2001 – City of Fort Collins, Advisory Board Service Award
- 1998 – Colorado Public Health and Environment Pollution Prevention Award
- 1992 – Colorado Governor’s Celebrate Colorado Pollution Prevention Award
- 1991 – EPA Region VIII Outstanding Achievement Award
- 1990 – CSU Engineering Deans Council Award
- 1984 – DOE-ASEE Passive Solar Summer Fellowship
- 1980 – CSU Morrison Faculty Award
- 1977 – University of Lancaster, Senior Visiting Fellowship
- 1976 – CSU Interdisciplinary Environmental Research Recognition Award