Frequently Asked Questions

Helpful to Future Graduate Students

What degree programs are available?

We offer Ph.D., M.S., and M.E. degrees in Chemical Engineering. The Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) degree is the highest academic degree offered by the University. Both the Ph.D. and the M.S. (Master of Science) degrees involve coursework and research components. Students in these degree programs produce a research document (e.g. dissertation or thesis). The M.E. (Master of Engineering) is a coursework-only degree, requiring 30 credit hours of coursework. No research or thesis are required for the M.E. degree.

I am interested in a Ph.D., but I don’t have a Master’s degree. Which degree program should I apply to?

Students who are interested in ultimately earning a Ph.D. degree should apply to the Ph.D. degree program. Many students are admitted to (and later graduate from) the Ph.D. program without a Master’s degree. Others are admitted to the Ph.D. program, and earn an M.S. degree at CSU while working towards their goal of obtaining a Ph.D. Since we admit only the number of students corresponding to the funded positions we have available, highly qualified students who desire a Ph.D. but apply to the M.S. program might be overlooked when we evaluate our Ph.D. applicants for those positions.

Do you admit international students?

We do admit international applicants to all of our graduate degree programs. Applicants from international students are reviewed in the same process as applicants from domestic students. We have no quotas for admission of either international or domestic students.

What are the minimum requirements (e.g. GRE, GPA, undergraduate degree, etc.) for admission?

Each semester, the Department admits the best qualified applicants whose interests and backgrounds match the particular positions that are available at the time. For this reason, we do not guarantee admission to applicants with specific minimum qualifications. Highly motivated students with bachelor’s degrees in fields other than chemical engineering are occasionally admitted to our graduate programs. These applicants often require some additional prerequisites to prepare for our graduate courses. Please see the additional information here, and email the graduate adviser for more information before applying.

How do I apply?

Please see the Admissions Requirements link at the right. To be considered for admission, applicants must formally apply to a degree program through the Graduate School, and send required materials to the Department. Application deadlines are listed at the bottom of the page. (Please do not request that faculty members review your qualifications before applying, as we cannot consider applicants who do not apply to the University, nor can faculty offer their evaluations of applicants’ potential outside of our formal application and admission process.)

How are graduate students supported?

Applicants admitted to the Ph.D. program are supported with a competitive stipend and full tuition. Some applicants may also be funded by their own fellowships or research awards. Some M.S. applicants may be offered support if positions are available; other M.S. and M.E. students are self-supported.

When will I find out whether I have been admitted?

All applications received by the deadline (see below) are evaluated shortly after the deadline. However, available funding for new students might not be clear at that time. The Department usually begins making offers of admission within two weeks of the application deadline. Some well-qualified applicants may receive offers as late as several weeks following the application deadline as positions become available. If you are waiting to hear from the Department and you have other offers you are considering, feel free to email the Graduate Adviser requesting an update of the status of your application.

Can I visit the Department?

If you are planning to be in the Northern Colorado area and would like to schedule a visit, contact the Graduate Adviser by email to make arrangements. Students in the U.S. who are admitted usually will receive an invitation to visit the Department, but all applicants are welcome to visit.

What are the Application Deadlines?
All application materials must be received by the following dates:
Fall semester: January 15
Spring semester: September 15
Inquiries about the graduate program may be directed to Graduate Adviser