Advanced Polymer Processing
Dual Resin Bonding
LaRC-IA and LaRC-SI
Research investigates processing and performance of these NASA Langley patented thermoplastic materials. Test coupons, both neat and particulate-filled, are produced by compression molding and tested in tension and flexure. Small-scale injection molding is being pursued, as are micro-composites of these materials. Data has been obtained at temperatures ranging from -150C to 150C. Processing research has indicated the ability to make measurable changes to the material microstructure.
- Radford, D.W. and Zelenak, S., “Effect of Flux Temperature on Dual Resin Bond Performance”, Journal of Advanced Materials, Vol. 25, No.2, January 1994, pp.54 – 62.
- Zelenak, S., Radford, D.W. and Dean, M.W., “Dual Resin Bonded Joints in Polyetheretherketone (PEEK) Matrix Composites”, SAMPE Quarterly, Vol. 24, No.3, April 1993, pp.38 – 46.
- Harper, T.W. and Radford, D.W., “A Quantitative Approach to Determining the Foaming Parameters for Polymers”, 36th International SAMPE Technical Conference, SanDiego, CA, Nov. 15 – 18, 2004.
- Perica-Tripalo, A. and Radford, D.W., “Montmorillonite Nanoclays as Reinforcements in Thermoplastic Polyimide Matrix Nanocomposites”, 36th International SAMPE Technical Conference, SanDiego, CA, Nov. 15 – 18, 2004.
- Olivero, D.A. and Radford, D.W., “Mechanical Performance of Compression Molded and Injection Molded Blends of LaRC Polyimide and Polyetherimide (PEI)”, ICCM-11, Gold Coast, Australia, July 14 – 18, 1997.
- Zelenak, S., Radford, D.W., and Dean, M.W., “The Performance of Carbon Fiber Reinforced PEEK Sub-Assemblies Joined Using the Dual Resin Bonding Approach”, 37th International SAMPE Symposium and Exhibition, Anaheim, CA., March 1992.
- Harper, T.W., “A Quantitative Approach to Determining the Foamability and Optimal Foaming Parameters of New Polymers”, MS Thesis, Colorado State University, Fall 2003.
- Perica, A. “Montmorillonite Nanoclays and Ceramic Nanoparticulates as Candidate Reinforcements in Thermoplastic Polyimide Matrix Nanocomposites”, MS Thesis, Colorado State University, Summer 2003.
- Zelenak, S., “Joint Morphology of Dual Resin Bonded Carbon Fiber/PEEK/PEI Composites”, MS Thesis, Colorado State University, Spring 1993.