Graduate Exam Abstract
Mehmet OgutPh.D. Preliminary
May 7, 2018, 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm
ENGRG B 4
MILLIMETER AND SUB-MILLIMETER WAVE RADIOMETERS FOR ATMOSPHERIC REMOTE SENSING FROM CUBESAT PLATFORMS
Abstract: The thesis focuses on tropospheric water and cloud ice (TWICE) radiometer for a 6U class CubeSat instrument. Background on millimeter-wave radiometry and CubeSats will be
provided. TWICE instrument specifications and goals will be presented. Radiometric data acquisition subsystem design, testing and analysis will be covered. Radiation related
on-orbit reliability issues will be discussed. Radiation testing and analysis results for critical parts of TWICE electronics will be presented with proposed system level mitigation
techniques. 670 GHz receiver end-to-end system measurements and analysis will be presented. Radiometer noise characterization will be performed using radiometer noise
wave model. Current radiometer calibration techniques for microwave and millimeter-wave radiometry will be reviewed. A new on-orbit calibration method based on deep
learning technique will be presented. Atmospheric wet-path delay retrievals using multi-angle and multi-frequency millimeter-wave channels will be discussed.
Adviser: Prof. Steven Reising
Non-ECE Member: Prof. Christian Kummerow
Member 3: Prof. V. Chandrasekar
Addional Members: Jothiram Vivekanandan
1. M. Ogut, X. Bosch-Lluis and S. C. Reising, â€œA Deep Learning Approach to On-Orbit Radiometer Calibration on a CubeSat Platformâ€, in 15th Specialist Meeting on Microwave Radiometry and Remote Sensing of the Environment (MicroRad 2018), Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, MA, USA, 27-30 March 2018.
2. (INVITED) M. Ogut, X. Bosch-Lluis, S. C. Reising, Y. V. Goncharenko, B. Kilmer, P. Kangaslahti, E. Schlecht, A. Skalare, R. Cofield, S. Padmanabhan, W. Deal, and A. Zamora, â€œDesign and Analysis of Command and Data Handling Subsystem for Tropospheric Water and Cloud Ice (TWICE) 6U-Class Satellite Instrument,â€ the USNC-URSI National Radio Science Meeting, Boulder, CO, January 2018.
3. M. Ogut, Y. Goncharenko, S. C. Reising, B. Kilmer, P. Kangaslahti, E. Schlecht and X. Bosch-Lluis, â€œSingle Event Effect Analysis for Command and Data Handling Electronics of the Tropospheric Water Vapor and Cloud Ice (TWICE) Radiometer Instrument for 6U-Class Nanosatellites,â€ Radiation Effects on Components and Systems (RADECS17), Geneva, Switzerland, October 2017.
4. (INVITED) M. Ogut, X. Bosch-Lluis, S. C. Reising, Y. V. Goncharenko, P. Kangaslahti, E. Schlecht, R. Cofield, N. Chahat, S. Padmanabhan, J. Jiang, S. Brown, W. Deal, A. Zamora, K. Leong, S. Shih, and G. Mei, â€œTropospheric Water and Cloud ICE (TWICE) Millimeter- and Sub-Millimeter-Wave Radiometer for 6U-Class Satellites: Performance Analysis of Command and Data Handling Subsystem,â€ 32nd URSI GASS, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 19-26 August 2017.
5. M. Ogut, X. Bosch-Lluis, S. C. Reising, Y. V. Goncharenko, P. Kangaslahti, E. Schlecht, R. Cofield, N. Chahat, S. Padmanabhan, J. Jiang, S. Brown, W. Deal, A. Zamora, K. Leong, S. Shih, and G. Mei, â€œCommand and Data Handling (C&DH) Subsystem for the Tropospheric Water and Cloud Ice (TWICE) 6U-Class Satellite Instrument,â€ in the Proc. of International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS 17), Fort Worth, TX, pp. 2744-2747, July 2017.
Program of Study: