Graduate Exam Abstract
Nihan SipahiPh.D. Preliminary
July 27, 2016, 8:30 am - 10:30 am
ERC Electronic Classroom A210
Design of Compact High Power Radio Frequency Electron Beam and THz Power Sources
Abstract: There exists a need for compact, reliable,
high-power electron sources for
applications including those in waste
treatment, basic science, defense, and
security. There also exists a need for
compact electron-beam based light and
power sources of various power levels
and at different frequencies (mm-wave to
gamma rays) for applications also in the
fields of basic science, industry, and
defense and security. Today’s examples
of high-average-power electron sources
are neither very compact nor highly
efficient. The same may be said for many
of the electron-beam based light sources
operated worldwide for myriad of
applications. Recent breakthroughs in
superconducting (SC) materials
technology, radio-frequency (RF) power
systems, specialized cathodes, and RF
cavity designs offer ways to overcome
the above-mentioned shortcomings. In
this dissertation, all these new features
are integrated in a comprehensive design
into one promising concept for a
compact superconducting RF (SRF)
high-average power electron linear
accelerator. This design is capable of 5-
50 kW average electron beam power and
continuous wave operation with the
corresponding electron beam energy up
to 10 MeV. In addition, the community
also has a need for compact light
sources for many different wavelength
regimes as well as a variety of peak and
average powers. Specifically, we are also
exploring a novel continuous wave
terahertz source designed from basic
Adviser: Sandra Biedron
Co-Adviser: Stephen Milton
Non-ECE Member: Norm Buchanan, Physics
Member 3: Carmen Menoni, ECE
• Sipahi, Nihan, et al. "RF Design of a High Average Beam-Power SRF Electron Source." 7th International Particle Accelerator Conference (IPAC'16), Busan, Korea, May 8-13, 2016. JACOW, Geneva, Switzerland, 2016.
• Kephart, Robert, et al. "SRF, Compact Accelerators for Industry & Society."17th International Conference on RF Superconductivity (SRF2015), Whistler, BC, Canada, Sept. 13-18, 2015. JACOW, Geneva, Switzerland, 2015.
• Milton, S., Biedron S., Harris, J., Martinez, J., D’Audney, A., Edelen J., Einstein, J., C. Hall, Horovitz, K., Morin, A., Sipahi, N., Sipahi, T., Williams, J., Carrico, C., and van der Slot, P.J.M. “Colorado State University (CSU) Accelerator and FEL Facility.”, In 5th International Particle Accelerator Conference (IPAC’14) Proceedings, Dresden, Germany, June 15-20, 2014, pp. 3937-3939. JACOW, Geneva, Switzerland, 2014.
• Sipahi, T., Sipahi, N., Biedron, S., and Milton, S. “X-band RF Power Generation via an L-band Accelerator System and Uses” Directed Energy Professional Society (DEPS) 16th Annual Directed Energy Symposium Proceedings, Huntsville, Alabama, March 10-14, 2014.
• Sipahi, N., Sipahi, T., Biedron, S., and Milton, S. “X-band RF power Generation via L-band Accelerator System and Uses.”, In 25th North American Particle Accelerator Conference (NA-PAC’13) Proceedings, Pasadena, California, USA, Sept. 29-Oct. 4, 2013, pp. 951-953. JACOW, Geneva, Switzerland, 2014.
• Sipahi, T., Sipahi, N., Biedron, S., and Milton, S. “Passively Driving X-Band Structures to Achieve Higher Beam Energies.”, In 25th North American Particle Accelerator Conference (NA-PAC’13) Proceedings, Pasadena, California, USA, Sept. 29 – Oct. 4, 2013, pp. 1001-1003. JACOW, Geneva, Switzerland, 2014.
• Milton, S., Biedron S., Harris, J., Martinez, J., D’Audney, A., Edelen J., Hall C., Horovitz K., Morin A., Rand L., Sipahi N., Sipahi, T., Williams, J., Medicine Bear, S., Carrico, C., Moin, N., Van Keuren, J., van der Slot, P.J.M., Bos, A., Dong, A., Kang, L., Kenny, K., Smith. J. “Status of the CSU Accelerator and FEL Facility”, Directed Energy Professional Society (DEPS) Fourth Annual Advanced High-Power Lasers Meeting Proceedings, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA, June 24-27, 2013.
• Sipahi, N.*, Sipahi, T.*, Biedron, S., Milton, S. and Adolphsen C. “Passively Driving X-band Structure to Achieving Higher Beam Energies”, In 6th International Particle Accelerator Conference (IPAC’13) Proceedings, Shanghai, China, May 12-17, 2013, pp. 1304-1306. JACOW, Geneva, Switzerland, 2013.
• Milton, S., Biedron, S., Burleson, T., Carrico C., Edelen, J., Hall, C., Horovitz, K., Morin, A., Rand, L., Sipahi, N., Sipahi, T., van der Slot, P.J.M., Dong, A., Yehudah, H., “The CSU Accelerator and FEL Facility”, 34th International Free Electron Laser Conference (FEL 2012), Nara, Japan, Aug. 26-31, 2012, pp. 373-376. JACOW, Geneva, Switzerland, 2012.
Program of Study: