AISES is a national, non-profit organization which nurtures building of community by bridging science and technology with traditional Native values. Through its educational programs, AISES provides oportunities for American Indians and Native Alaskans to pursue studies in science, engineering, business and other academic arenas. The trained professionals then become technologically informed leaders within the Indian community. AISES’ ultimate goal is to be a catalyst for the advancement of American Indians and Native Alaskans as they seek to become self-reliant and self-determined members of society.
National & Local Goals
The American Indian Science and Engineering Society was founded in 1977 by American Indian scientists, engineers and educators. In view of the high dropout rates and low college enrollment and graduation rates of American Indians compared with all other ethnic groups in the United States, and the severe under-representation of American Indians in the science and engineering fields, these Native professionals resolved to create an organization that would identify and remove the barriers to academic success for Native students.
Locally, to provide support: educational, social, emotional, spiritual, and cultural via social activities, interpersonal relationships, study groups, and sports activities.
- To promote the importance of attaining higher education among Native Americans.
- To offer a support service to new and returning Native American Students.
- To develop a viable retention and recruitment program.
- To inform Native American Students of the various services available in which our needs may be combined with others already in existence.
- To provide social support.
- To become an educational center for creating a greater awareness of Native Americans in general.
- To provide a resource center for studying and becoming acquainted with the various Native American cultures.
- To promote the members of students into Science, Engineering and other related fields.
President – Casey Key
Vice President – Simone James
Treasurer – Irv Bahe
Secretary – Alex Hopkins
If you’re not sure who to contact or have general questions, you can send an email to the general AISES account: csuaises (at) gmail.com