2022 Challenge themes (Now with Transportation!):
1. Low impact water systems – innovative solutions are needed to manage and minimize surface water flows from and within urban developments. How do we develop systems that that use or mimic natural processes to manage the infiltration, evapotranspiration or use of water flows in order to address impacts on water quality and associated natural habitats?
2. Urban transportation modalities – The Midtown corridor in Fort Collins is a key transportation throughway with development goals that it maintain this flow but also create a transportation nexus for visiting, recreating, and living. How do we utilize novel transportation modalities and technologies to address the need to move people, goods, and materials that can improve the quality of urban living and reduce the impact of these systems?
3. Regenerative energy systems (linked to #2 – energy for transportation hubs) – Regenerative energy systems challenge the paradigm of energy supply and demand to create net positive energy communities. How can we look the synergies of renewable energy, circular systems, grids, building systems, and energy recovery to create energy contributing communities?
Intersecting all these themes is a need to develop smart and connected communities to enable innovate solutions
Associate Professor Steven Conrad
Your multidisciplinary team will work together on a redeveloping the Midtown Corridor, right here in Fort Collins, to think critically and help address growing water, energy, and development issues that cities face every day. Your team’s work will inform decisions by Fort Collin’s developers, planners, engineers and the Fort Collin’s business community as they develop final plans for the Midtown area along College Avenue.
Recognition, prizes, and benefits
With opportunity for multiple winners across performance, design, and character, teams will be recognized through awards, prizes, and publicity. Several observers will be recruiting students for summer and follow on work engagements.
You will be able to…
- Use critical thinking around key issues influencing city design and management
- Employ your understanding of multiple fields to solve real-life problems related to urban growth, water and energy supply, security and efficiency
- Hear from researchers and industry professionals working in the domain of water, energy and transportation
- Evaluate the key issues and trends in urban water, energy and transportation management and their interconnections
- Network with peers and potential employers
- Understand the relationships between water and energy in urban water systems and be able to identify how to reduce water-related energy use
- Formulate strategies for implementing change in urban water management to influence energy efficiency
Schedule and Speakers
- Days 1 and 2 include interactive actives, lectures from guest speakers, and site tours
- Who is eligible to participate?
All Colorado State University current and recent graduate students and rising undergraduates are eligible for participation. External professions are also eligible to participate. 5 full scholarships are available. (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for specifics and questions).
Some relevant disciplines include:
- Civil, Chemical and Biological, Environmental, Mechanical, Systems Engineering
- Watershed Sciences
- Ecosystem Science and Sustainability
- Environmental and Natural Resource Economics
- Electric power and energy systems
- Urban Planning and Real Estate, Construction
- Landscape Architecture and Design
- Is there a cost? (No, and registration includes free food)
Registration is now Free! Your registration covers materials, as well as lunch, networking, and refreshments each day.
- Will there be parking available?
Yes, there is limited parking available, located across the train tracks behind the Valvoline, as well as bike racks on one side of the building. The CSU bus system also has multiple stops across from the Powerhouse.
Additional location and parking information can be found here.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
Once you register for the event, you will be contacted regarding any dietary restrictions youPrevious image Next image