Figure 1. Typical Internal Combustion Engine


Figure 2. View of the chamber

Figure 3. View of the head

The internal combustion engine is a rich source of examples of almost every conceivable type of heat transfer. There are a wide range of temperatures and heat fluxes in the various components of the internal combustion engine. Internal combustion engines come in many sizes, from small model airplane engines with a 0.25 " (6 mm) bore and stroke to large stationary engines with a 12" (300 mm)

About 25 % of the air/fuel mixture energy is converted to work, and the remaining 75% must be transferred from the engine to the environment. The heat transfer paths are many, and include many different modes of heat transfer.

In this module, we will discuss the heat transfer processes in the engine components, then consider the engine parameters and variables which affect the heat transfer processes. We present various models of the heat transfer processes, and example calculations of the heat transfer rates and coefficients.

Once you have explored the core sections, you can also go to the advanced sections, where current research topics and problems are presented.