The Hydro-Urban Bhaskar (HUB) research group is seeking a graduate student to start in 2022 to work in analysis of (1) effects of rainwater harvesting on streamflow in Colorado, (2) spatial predictors of outdoor water use, and (3) hydrologic and landscape transformations in watersheds converting from grassland to residential development with green stormwater infrastructure. These projects will involve a combination of analysis of existing streamflow data in R, modeling using EPA SWMM, analysis of water use data and landscape characteristics in R, and field data collection involving streamflow monitoring and uncrewed aerial system collection of topographic change data in an urbanizing watershed in Parker, Colorado. This position is funded by the National Science Foundation (see CAREER and Transformation Network for more information).
Required qualifications are:
(1) BS (for MS position at CSU) or MS (for PhD position at CSU) in Civil and Environmental Engineering or related discipline.
(2) Clear research interest in urban water resources.
(3) Proficiency in oral and written English communication.
Preferred qualifications for this position are:
(1) Experience with coding in R or another similar language.
(2) Experience with hydrologic field data collection
(3) Experience with EPA SWMM.
(4) Research experience in water resources science or engineering.
(5) Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams.
(6) Interest in integrating equity into graduate research.
Preference will be given to students from backgrounds historically excluded from in water resources engineering.
If interested, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the following materials as a single PDF attachment and email subject line “Application for Posted HUB Position”:
(1) A 1-2 page cover letter with your interest in the position and research topics, and how you meet the required and preferred qualifications, and
(2) A current resume or CV.
You may simultaneously or soon afterwards apply to CSU. Information about applying to the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Colorado State University is at https://www.engr.colostate.edu/ce/graduate-application-information/. This advertisement will be removed when it is filled.