The Master of Engineering degree is a course work only degree program that provides students a foundation in biomedical engineering and is often used for professional development and advancement in the field. The Master of Science (M.S.) degree is a research-based degree which requires the student to complete a research project leading to the successful defense of a thesis. The M.S. is often pursued by students who wish to do research in industry or continue on to their Ph.D.

The Master of Engineering (M.E.) Online education program has a similar curriculum to the on-campus program, with fewer electives. Students have the opportunity to view the same lectures on-campus students attend and interact with world-class faculty. The diploma will be identical to that earned by on-campus students.

Graduate students will select an advisor based on their research interests. You can learn more about faculty research areas by searching and reviewing our Faculty Directory. Two to three Ph.D. students will have an opportunity to complete lab rotations, allowing them to work with three different professors before choosing an area of study and faculty advisor.

The committee must consist of at least three faculty members for a master's degree program and at least four for a doctoral degree program. The members are as follows:

1) the advisor who serves as chairperson of the committee and who must hold academic faculty rank as a professor, associate professor, or assistant professor of any appointment type within the department or program (Core Faculty Member) granting the degree;
2) one or more additional members from the department (Core Faculty Member);
3) any nondepartmental faculty member who may be appropriate (non-Core Faculty Member);
4) one member from an outside department who, appointed by the Vice Provost for Graduate Studies, represents the Graduate School. The outside committee member appointed by the Vice Provost for Graduate Studies must hold a regular, special, transitional, joint, or emeritus/emerita faculty appointment at Colorado State University. (The outside member cannot be a Core Faculty Member nor from your Advisor's home department.)

Individuals who are not academic faculty but who have special expertise may serve on committees in addition to the prescribed members, but may not vote regarding examination results.