Walter Scott, Jr. College of Engineering

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

The questions and answers below represent general situations associated with the Engineering Business Office, and may not reflect unique circumstances. Answers are only relevant to staff and faculty of the Walter Scott, Jr. College of Engineering, and do not reflect or represent guidelines, procedures or information from other colleges or Colorado State University.

For more specific answers, please contact EBO staff directly.


Q: What is a TEM Profile?

A: A TEM profile is the Traveler’s profile that includes information such as the emergency contacts, default account number, campus delivery, travel arrangers, etc. A TEM Profile must be created for the traveler before travel documents can be created/submitted.

Q: What is a Travel Authorization?

A: A Travel Authorization, also called TA, is the pre-trip document. This needs to be completed before the trip occurs for out of state, international travel and to receive travel advances. If you are traveling in-state, this form does not need to be filled out unless airfare is booked using the Ghost Card or you are requesting an advance.

Q: How far in advance do I need to submit my Travel Authorization Request form?

A: We ask that you submit your Travel Authorization Request as soon as possible, but no later than 24 hours before departure.

Q: What is a Travel Reimbursement?

A: The Travel Reimbursement, also called TR, is the post-trip document. This is completed after you return from your trip. For in-state travel without airfare or an advance, this is the only document needed.

Q: What if I lose one or more of my travel receipts?

A: If your purchase(s) were made using a personal credit card, we can accept a copy of your credit card statement showing your charge(s) as documentation instead of a receipt. If a credit card statement is not available, please contact our office for a missing receipt form.

Q: What information is needed if I will be traveling out of the country?

A: For all travelers, we will need:

– Type of accommodation (hotel, motel, barracks, private home, etc.) with dates, address and telephone number for each place you stay

– A telephone number where you can be reached while traveling abroad

– An emergency contact (name, relationship to you, phone number and email address)

  Additionally, travelers with student status who will be traveling abroad in relation to their degree (ex. conferences, research, or other non-classroom based education abroad) are required to register their travel with the Office of International Programs (OIP). Students can begin registration here. Beginning August 1, 2017 students who complete this profile will be enrolled in high level international health insurance at no cost to them.  

Q: Do I have to be approved for travel first?

A: Prior authorization is required before any travel can occur. Before submitting a travel authorization request, all travelers need to obtain approval from their advisor, Principle Investigator (PI), or department head.

Q: How long will it take to get reimbursed?

A: Upon submission of your travel reimbursement request form and all receipts, travelers can typically expect to receive their reimbursement check in 10-14 business days.

Q: How will I receive my travel reimbursement?

A: All student and non-employees of the University will receive a check in the mail to the address that is listed on file with our office. All employees will receive a direct deposit into their bank account on file with payroll.