Google Apps Information
Google Apps for CSU is a set of communication tools that includes email, a personal website, chat and allows the ability to create and share documents, spreadsheets, presentations and calendars in a collaborative fashion. This powerful suite of applications is completely hosted by Google in an ad-free environment for students, faculty and staff.
Google Apps for CSU is supported by ACNS. For more information, please visit the Google Apps for CSU page. You may also wish to view the Google Apps for CSU FAQ.
Migrating to Google Apps
The first step is to sign up for a Google Apps for CSU account:
- Go to the Google Apps for CSU page.
- Select the "Create a Google Apps for CSU Account" link.
- Follow the instructions.
Set Up Gmail
- Set up your Google Mail account (see Migrating to Google Apps, above.)
- Set up your email forwarding:
- Forward your firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com
- Forward your firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com
- Transfer your saved emails & contacts (optional). If you wish to do this, please contact ENS for personalized assistance.
If you are new to Gmail, we suggest you take a look at Google's Gmail Help Center.
Set up Calendar
- Set up your Google Calendar account (see Migrating to Google Apps, above.)
- Set up synchronization with Exchange calendar (optional). If you wish to do this, please contact ENS for personalized assistance.
Tips & Troubleshooting
Create a Google Hosted Password
A Google Hosted Password is necessary to use third-party email clients or backup software.
- If you are currently signed in to Google Apps for CSU, sign out.
- Visit the Google Apps for CSU page and then select the "Change your Google Password" link on the right side of the page. You'll be prompted to login with your eID credentials.
- Follow the instructions on the password change page. Use a password that is different from your eID password. ACNS does not send your eID password to Google and does not recommend using the same password.
Google Hosted Password Does Not Work
If after you've established a Google Hosted Password, you're receiving repeated prompts for your password, ensure that your Google Apps password has at least 8 characters and a clear captcha for your email account.
To clear a captcha:
- Disable all email clients you're using to read mail. If you use one at work and one at home, please disable both.
- From the computer on which your logins are failing, visit https://www.google.com/a/rams.colostate.edu/UnlockCaptcha.
- Enter your email username (ename) and password, and the letters in the distorted picture.
- Once you have successfully signed in, restart your mail client and try to download your mail.