Graduate Exam Abstract
Han ChiPh.D. Preliminary
September 25, 2020, 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Development of a High Power High Repetition Rate Ultrafast Laser System
Abstract: The development of high power high repetition rate ultrafast laser system is on demand of a increasing number of intriguing applications in academic and industry field. To achieve femtosecond pulses, the green laser pump source of Ti:Sapphire lasers has been a roadblock on its way to the high repetition rate.
In this talk, the 3-D temperature mapping system which is the key technique in the thermal management of the kilowatt average power Yb:YAG laser amplifier, and the generation of more than one kilowatt average power 515 nm nanosecond pulses running at 1 kHz repetition rate will be presented. The future work of development of the kHz Ti:Sapphire femtosecond laser will be described.
Adviser: Jorge Rocca
Non-ECE Member: Siu Au Lee, Physics
Member 3: Carmen Menoni, ECE
Addional Members: Mario Marconi, ECE
• H. Chi, C. M. Baumgarten, E. Jankowska, K. A. Dehne, G. Murray, A. R. Meadows, M. Berrill, B. A. Reagan, and J. J. Rocca. “Thermal Behavior Characterization of a kW-Power Level Cryogenically-Cooled Yb:YAG Active Mirror Laser Amplifier,” submitted to JOSA B (2019).
• H. Chi, K. A. Dehne, C. M. Baumgarten, H. Wang, L. Yin, B. A. Reagan, and J. J. Rocca. “In situ 3-D temperature mapping of high average power cryogenic laser amplifiers,” Opt. Express 26, 5240-5252 (2018).
• H. Chi, K. A. Dehne, C. M. Baumgarten, H. Wang, L. Yin, B. A. Reagan, and J. J. Rocca, “In Situ 3-D Temperature Mapping of High Average Power Cryogenic Laser Amplifiers,” in Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, OSA Technical Digest (online) (Optical Society of America, 2018), paper SM1N.5.
• H. Chi, B. Liu, Y. Song, M. Hu, L. Chai, W. Shen, X. Liu, and C. Wang. “Nonlinearity optimization of dissipative-soliton fiber laser for generation of pulses with 350 kW peak power,” High Power Laser Science and Engineering 6, E27. 2018.
• B. A. Reagan, C. Baumgarten, E. Jankowska, H. Chi, H. Bravo, K. Dehne, M. Pedicone, L. Yin, H. Wang, C. S. Menoni, and J. J. Rocca. “Scaling diode-pumped, high energy picosecond lasers to kilowatt average powers,” High Power Laser Science and Engineering 6, E11. 2018.
• H. Chi, K. Dehne, C. Baumgarten, H. Wang, L. Yin, B. Reagan, and J. Rocca. “In situ temperature mapping of high energy, high average power cryogenic amplifiers,” Bulletin of the American Physical Society 62, 2017.
• H. Chi, B. Liu, Y. Song, M. Hu, L. Chai, W. Shen, X. Liu, C. Wang. “66 fs, 3 W all fiber Yb3+-doped mode-locked fiber laser,” Fiber-Based Technologies and Applications, FTh4F. 3ng, 2014.
Program of Study: