The dean, faculty, and staff of the Walter Scott, Jr. College of Engineering congratulate you on your upcoming graduation from Colorado State University! The College commencement ceremony individually recognizes bachelor graduates and their achievements.
Commencement Speaker: Kevin Petty
Dr. Kevin Petty is the Director of Science and Forecasting and Head of Public-Private Partnerships for The Weather Company, an IBM Business delivering weather and climate services globally. He oversees research and development for weather solutions and is responsible for forecasting operations, including a global team of meteorologists across IBM’s Watson Media and Weather organization. Petty also manages the company’s relationships with members of the national and global weather enterprise that includes government agencies, academia, and other private-sector providers.
Before joining IBM, he served as the Chief Science Officer for Vaisala. Prior to the CSO role, he also held roles as Head of Technology Research and of U.S. Products and Technology, as well as Offering Manager for surface transportation. Petty has also worked as a Project Scientist and Scientific Program Manager with the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and as an accident investigator and Senior Meteorologist for the National Transportation Safety Board.
Petty graduated with a Ph.D. (1997) and M.S. (1994) in Atmospheric Sciences from Ohio State University and a B.S. (1989) in Mathematics from Illinois College.
The following college commencement information will prove helpful as the ceremony approaches. Please read it thoroughly. If you have any additional questions, please contact Carol Bernard via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at (970) 491-3358.
Notice of Participation
Graduating seniors, please be sure to meet with your adviser to finalize your degree program requirements.
During the week of commencement, you will be required to confirm the pronunciation of your name if your name is difficult to pronounce. Please stop by the Engineering Success Center in the Scott Bioengineering Building.
Note: The Graduate School, in a separate ceremony, honors master’s and doctoral graduates. For Graduate School information call (970) 491-6817 or see their website for further information.
Student Check-in and Line-up
- North Ballroom, Lory Student Center
- You must be checked in and lined up behind your department sign no later than 30 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony.
- You will pick up your name card from your department coordinator.
- Staff members and marshals will line up faculty and students for the processional march to the Lory Student Center Grand Ballroom at 10:00 a.m.
Please remember that this ceremony is a public event. For this reason we request that you honor the occasion by not adorning your regalia with additional decoration.
Your conduct and behavior during the ceremony reflect the dignity and importance of this event for all of us – you as an individual and the University as a whole. You are reminded that it is illegal to bring alcoholic beverages onto campus. Other inappropriate substances or objects will not be allowed anywhere in the facility and such items will be confiscated. Uniformed police officers and faculty marshals will be in attendance as you enter the assembly area and throughout the ceremony. In accordance with commencement policies, you may be requested to open robes, purses, etc. for inspection as you enter.
Prohibited items and University conduct guidelines can be found on the Event Conduct Guidelines page on the University Commencement website.
Order your regalia in advance online via the links below. GradPack includes cap, gown, and tassel rental PLUS Alumni Association membership.
Graduates need to place their cap and gown orders
before Monday, October 28, 2019.
- Returns are at the Lory Student Center Information Desk occur immediately following the commencement ceremonies.
- Rental returns are in the Iris & Michael Smith Alumni Center all days of commencement.
- If you do not drop off your regalia after the ceremony, it is your responsibility to return it to the Smith Alumni Center. Please note there may be a charge for late returns.
- The deadline to order faculty regalia is the same as for students: Monday, October 28, 2019.
- Faculty orders are coordinated by each college office.
- Colleges or departments work directly with the supplier, Jostens, to place faculty orders.
- We can accommodate on-site rentals after the deadline.
- Graduates receive a diploma cover at commencement.
- The actual diploma will be mailed to you six to eight weeks after commencement.
- For those unable to attend the ceremonies, diploma covers are available in the Registrar’s Office (at no charge).
- Diploma covers can be mailed by calling 491-7159; the postage cost is $5.00 per cover for U.S. mailings.
Water Bottle and clear bag policies
Water bottle and clear bag policies will be in effect for Moby Arena ceremonies this spring. Disposable and crushable plastic bottles, empty and without a cap, are permissible.
Colorado State’s clear bag policy is for all events at Moby Arena, to enhance event security procedures, provide a safer environment for the public, and to expedite patron entry into Moby Arena.