General Course Information
By the time the students successfuly complete the course, they
should be able to:
- Identify, quantify, and mitigate project risks
- Assess, monitor, control, and transfer risk.
- Apply tools, techniques, and methodologies to implement risk
Course Outline and Schedule
- Introduction. What is risk and how is it managed?
- Using project risk models
- The risk management process
- Identifying project risks
- Analyzing risks
- Prioritizing and mapping risks
- Planning resolution of targeted risks
- Monitoring project risks
- Risk management toolkit
- Risk management approaches and strategies
- Implementing a project risk management program successfully
- Case studies
- Advanced topics
- Student presentations (might take more than one class session)
Preston G. Smith and Guy M. Merritt,
Proactive Risk Management: Controlling Uncertainty In
Product Development, Productivity Press, 2002.
(Link to amazon.com.)
ECE/STAT303 or STAT315 (or equivalent undergraduate probability and statistics).
See Organizational Information.
Examples of applications
- Engineering project management
- Software risk management
- Consulting risk management
- Investment planning
- Insurance pricing
Professor Edwin K. P. Chong,
This document was last modified
January 11, 2016.