The highly selective nature of this program is intentional and designed to maintain the integrity and quality of the student experience. Before applying to the degree program, it is strongly recommended that you contact us well in advance of the application deadline to understand and fulfill all requirements.
Students can be admitted for the Fall and Spring semester. Full consideration is given to applicants who meet the given deadline. Applications received after the deadline will be reviewed as space within the program allows.
|Fall semester:||July 1|
|Spring semester:||November 1|
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- B.S. degree from a regionally-accredited institution in engineering, mathematics, or a science discipline with a GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Calculus III (MATH 261 Calculus for Physical Scientists III or equivalent)
- Basic Statistics (STAT 301 or equivalent)
- GRE test scores are required if all previous degrees were conferred by an institution outside of the U.S
- A faculty advisor must be secured before admittance. It is also the responsibility of applicants to establish rapport with faculty in a professional manner once all application materials have been submitted.
Note that meeting the minimum department standards does not ensure admission to the program. Admission to Colorado State University graduate programs is based on a number of factors, including prior academic and professional experience and the personal statement.
Download the complete Application Packet prior to starting the application process. This packet provides detailed information regarding CSU's Systems Engineering graduate programs, minimum application qualifications, criteria for admission, and more.
Do not proceed to Step 4 unless you have found a faculty advisor. Please see the section on securing a faculty advisor in the Application Packet.
Complete the online Graduate School application, and pay the nonrefundable application processing fee (payable online).
- Select 'Systems Engineering (College of Engineering) Ph.D.' when choosing the program of study
The systems engineering program only admits for Fall and Spring semesters
The following is a list of materials you can expect to submit. Please download and reference the Application Information Packet for details.
- Statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation: We suggest letters come from faculty, supervisors, etc. who can accurately speak to your skills.
- Official transcripts: One official transcript from every post-secondary institution attended (transcripts from CSU are not required). These must be official and mailed to the Systems Engineering Department. If a university uses a certified third-party to send electronic transcripts (such as Docufide or Escrip-safe) you must send the confirmation email you receive to email@example.com.
- Test scores: If you earned a degree from a non-U.S. institution include TOEFL and/or IELTS scores and GRE scores. (see further instructions below)
Sending application materials
- Email application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or send application materials to:
Systems Engineering - Graduate Admissions
College of Engineering
Colorado State University
1301 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1301
For consideration, all components of Steps 2, 3, and 4 must be completed.
Contact: Susheela Mallipudi
Upon receipt of your materials, your application is reviewed by the admissions committee. Once a decision has been made, it can take 3-4 weeks before you receive official notification from the Graduate School.
Official transcript translation
Ensure official copies include a certified translation into English. Only one set of transcripts per institution is required.
Instructions to submit official TOEFL scores
Submit official scores through the Educational Testing Service (select institution code: 4075).
Students are exempted from the TOEFL or IELTS requirement if the official language of their country is English or if they have recently earned a degree from an American University.
The minimum score for applicants is 80 on the internet-based test (550 on the paper-based test or 6.5 on the IELTS). Leave the department code blank. It generally takes 3-6 weeks for ETS to get the scores to CSU, so allow plenty of time. Photocopies will not be accepted.
Visit ETS for more information.
Instructions to submit GRE test scores
Submit official GRE General Test scores through the Educational Testing Service (select institution code: 4075 and leave the department code blank). Scores are typically received by the University 4-6 weeks after your testing date.
- All three sections – verbal, quantitative, and analytical – must be submitted. Photocopies are not accepted.
- A GRE Preparation course is available face-to-face and online through CSU.