About CSU & Fort Collins
Thousands of students choose Colorado State University over other institutions for their college experience. Why?
The wide-open spaces and majestic Rockies, visible from campus, make Fort Collins an attractive place to live and learn. This ideal location provides easy access to the mountains and all they have to offer. From camping, hiking, snow boarding, downhill and cross-country skiing, to rafting, fishing, or water skiing, you'll find it all within a short drive of town.
- From campus, it is only a ten minute drive to Horsetooth Reservoir
- Thirty minutes from campus is the canyon of the Cache La Poudre River, famous as a trout fishing and white water recreation area.
- Estes Park,the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park, is a one-hour drive up the Big Thompson Canyon.
- Fort Collins also has more than 53 miles of well-maintained bike trails and lanes. Biking in Fort Collins includes cycling on wide bike lanes and scenic trails, as well as mountain biking on trails in the foothills just west of campus and up the Poudre Canyon.
Many nationally known ski areas are located within a few hours' drive
Fort Collins facts
- Fort Collins has an annual average of 246 days of sunshine! Experience all four seasons with average temperatures ranging from a high of 82° to a low of 54° in the summer and from a high of 45° to a low of 17° in the winter.
- The city takes pride in being green, from its official motto, "Where renewal is a way of life," to its Climate Wise energy program, which helps local businesses reduce carbon emissions.
- Canine companions are also welcomed in Fort Collins, from Old Town patios to the foothills trails, and in the town's many dog parks.
- Fort Collins ranked as one of "The New American Dream Towns." Outside Magazine, August 2005
- In 2008, Forbes Magazine ranked Fort Collins as the Third Best Place for Business and Careers!
- Fort Collins is located 65 miles north of Denver and easily accessible by car, bus, or air. An hourly shuttle provides transportation to and from Denver International Airport.
- Within the city, the TransFort bus system offers free transportation for full-time CSU students.