Core Course Requirements
Number of Required Courses
- M.S. students are required to complete two courses from the list of core courses with a grade of B or better.
- Ph.D. students are required to complete three courses from the list of core courses, i.e., one beyond their M.S., with a grade of B or better (including MATH 530 or MECH 568).
Core Course List
- CIVE 560 – Advanced Mechanics of Materials
- MATH 530–Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers (must be taken by all Ph.D. students)
- MECH 529– Advanced Mechanical Systems
- MECH 532 – Materials Issues in Mechanical Design
- MECH 538 – Mechanical Engineering Thermodynamics
- MECH 539 – Advanced Fluid Mechanics
- MECH 544 – Advanced Heat Transfer
- MECH 568 – Computational Methods for Mechanical Engineering
- * either MATH 530 or MECH 568 must be taken by all PhD students
The core course requirements apply to students who enrolled in the mechanical engineering graduate program or transferred from another department or University in Fall 2010 or later. Students enrolled in the graduate program prior to Fall 2010 are not required to take the core courses, i.e., they will be “grandfathered in”, even if they complete their M.S. degree and transfer to the Ph.D. program.
Core courses may be substituted with equivalent graduate courses from other universities (as would often be the case for students who have completed their M.S. degrees elsewhere). All substitutions must be approved in writing by the Associate Department Head for Graduate Studies. To initiate this process, students should email a syllabus for each course in question to the Graduate Director with a request for an exemption from the equivalent course on the core course list. Please note that such exemptions replace required courses so do not change the credit hour requirements for the degree.
F – Fall, S – Spring, SS – Summer
º Alternate year offering (odd), * Alternate year offering (even)
- MECH501 3(0-0-3). Engineering Project and Program Management SS
Engineering Program Management fundamentals, program planning and control strategies, risk assessment, work breakdown structures and costing options.
- MECH503 3(0-0-3). Engineering Maintenance Process. SS
Design for engineering maintainability development and management of effective maintenance programs applicable to typical industrial environments.
- MECH504 3(0-0-3). Specification and Procurement of ENGR Systems SS
Specification and procurement of engineering systems, including contracts, legal, ethics and Statement of Work development.
- *MECH507 3(3-0-0). Laser Diagnostics for Thermosciences. F
Basics of optics, spectroscopy, and lasers. Physics and applications of laser diagnostic techniques used in thermosciences.
- MECH509 3(3-0-0). Design and Analysis in Engineering Research. S
Prerequisites: MATH340 AND STAT315
Design, model building, analysis and reporting in engineering and manufacturing research and experimentation.
- *MECH510 2(1-0-1). Advanced Engineering Economy. S, SS
Prerequisites: STAT315 AND MECH410
Evaluation of independent and interrelated proposals with compound interest, discrete and continuous cash flows, complete and incomplete information.
- MECH512 3(3-0-0). Reliability Engineering. F
Prerequisites: STAT315 AND MECH513
Models to predict time to failure of mechanical or electronic devices, reliability data analysis and case studies.
- MECH513 3(3-0-0). Simulation Modeling and Experimentation. F
Logic/analytic modeling in simulations. Event and transient entity-based simulation languages. Simulation design, experimentation and analysis.
- ºMECH514 3(2-2-0). Manufacturing and Robotic Systems. S
Examination of electromechanical systems of manufacturing applications and robotics.
- MECH520 3(3-0-0). Finite Element Analysis in Mechanical Engr. S
Prerequisites: CIVE360 AND MATH340
Application of FEA as a tool to analyze mechanical engineering problems.
- MECH523 3(3-0-0). Vehicle Energy Storage System Design S
Develop vehicle system designs utilizing electrochemical energy storage systems such as batteries and capacitors.
- MECH524 3(3-0-0). Principles of Dynamics. F
Kinematics and dynamics of rigid body motion; Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations of mechanics; applications to engineering problems.
- MECH525 3(3-0-0). Cell and Tissue Engineering. S
Prerequisites: BMS300 OR NB501 OR BZ310 OR BC351 OR BMS500
Cell and tissue engineering concepts and techniques with emphasis on cellular response, cell adhesion kinetics, and tissue engineering design.
- MECH526 3(3-0-0). Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics. S
Kinetics of vehicle suspensions, steady-state and transient stability and control, tires, wheel and suspension geometry and loads, dampers, steering.
- MECH527 3(3-0-0). Hybrid electric Vehicle Powertrains. F
Hybrid powertrains and modeling including vehicle dynamics, internal combusition engine, electric motor, energy storage, and control.
- ºMECH529 3(3-0-0). Advanced Mechanical Systems. S
Modeling, analysis, and synthesis of practical mechanical devices in which dynamic response is dominant consideration.
- MECH530 3(3-0-0). Advanced Composite Materials. F
Prerequisites: CIVE360 AND MECH331
Materials aspects of advanced composite constituents and how their combination yields synergistic results.
- MECH531 3(3-0-0). Materials Engineering. S
Prerequisites: MECH331 OR MECH431
Selection of structural engineering materials by properties, processing, and economics; materials for biomedical and biotechnology applications.
- MECH532 3(3-0-0). Materials Issues in Mechanical Design. F
Failure mechanisms from materials viewpoint with emphasis on use in design. Fracture, creep, fatigue, and corrosion.
- MECH536 3(3-0-0). Materials Applications in Renewable Energy. F
Materials science applied to renewable energy, transmission and storage; study of solar cells, fuel cells, Li-ion batteries and related technologies. Required field trips.
- MECH538 3(3-0-0). Mechanical Engineering Thermodynamics. F
First and second laws of thermodynamics applied to engineering devices and systems. Introduction to availability, exergy, and lost work analysis.
- MECH539 3(3-0-0). Advanced Fluid Mechanics F
Properties, kinematics; vorticity, exact solutions; instability; boundary layers; turbulence; wakes; compressible flow; supersonic flow; shockwaves.
- MECH544 3(3-0-0). Advanced Heat Transfer. S
Fundamentals and engineering applications of heat transfer including conduction, convection, and radiation.
- ºMECH551 3(3-0-0). Physical Gas Dynamics I. F
Characteristics of real gases in reacting and nonequilibrium systems; equilibrium air; statistical mechanics; chemical thermodynamics.
- ºMECH552 3(3-0-0). Applied Computational Fluid Dynamics. F
Prerequisites: CBE331 AND CIVE300 AND MECH342
Introductory theory of CFD, formulation of engineering prolems for CFD analyses, mesh generation, solver settings, and postprocessing.
- MECH555 3(3-0-0). Ceramic Materials Engineering S
Ceramic materials engineering and its application to materials technologies.
- MECH557 3(3-0-0). Turbomachinery. F
Prerequisites: MECH337 AND MECH342
Application of fundamental principles of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics to turbomachinery.
- *MECH558 3(3-0-0). Combustion. F
Combustion processes: explosions, detonations, flame propagation, ignition, generation of pollutants in moving and stationary energy conversion systems.
- *MECH561 4(4-0-0). Space Propulsion and Mission Analysis. S
Analysis of space flight missions and propulsion systems.
- *MECH564 3(3-0-0). Fundamentals of Robot Mechanics and Controls. S
Kinematics of robots, controls for robots.
- ºMECH567 3(3-0-0). Broad-Beam Ion Sources. S
Physical processes in broad-beam electron-bombardment ion sources for space propulsion and ion machining applications.
- *MECH569 3(3-0-0). Micro-Electro-Mechanical Devices. S
Prerequisites: MECH344 OR (ECE331 AND with a C- or better)
Micro-electro-mechanical processes and applications in sensors, optics, and structures.
- *MECH570 3(3-0-0). Bioengineering. S
Prerequisites: MECH307 AND MECH324
Physiological and medical systems analysis using engineering methods including mechanics, fluid dynamics, control, electronics, and signal processing.
- MECH573 3(3-0-0). Structure and Function of Biomaterials. S
Structure-function relationships of natural biomaterials; application to analysis of biomimetic materials and biomaterials used in medical devices.
- MECH575 3(3-0-0). Solar and Alternative Energies. F
Prerequisites: MECH337 AND MECH342 AND MECH344
Solar radiation, flat-plate collectors, energy storage, space heating and cooling, power generation, applications, simulation.
- ºMECH609 3(1-0-2). Experimental Optimization. SS
Application of design of experiments, response surface and optimization methods to experimental investigations.
- MECH626 3(3-0-0). Race Car Vehicle Dynamics. F
Prerequisites: CIVE562 AND MECH524 AND MECH526
Quasi-static, steady-state and transient analyses of racing suspensions including modal analysis in roll, pitch, heave, yaw and warp.
- *MECH628 3(3-0-0). Applied Fracture Mechanics. S
Stress distribution near cracks; energy criteria for fracture; design criteria; fracture toughness testing.
- ºMECH644 3(3-0-0). Conduction Heat Transfer. F
Linear and nonlinear, isotropic and nonisotropic conduction; analytical, numerical techniques; inverse methods.
- *MECH645 3(3-0-0). Radiation Heat Transfer. S
Radiation fundamentals; properties; spectral, directional variations; transfer between surfaces; participating media; numerical, Monte Carlo methods.
- ºMECH646 3(3-0-0). Convection Heat Transfer. S
Fundamentals; conservation, constitutive equations; second law; forced, free convection; internal, external flows; laminar, turbulent flows.
- MECH650 3(3-0-0). Computational Materials from First Principles F
Ab initio calculations for molecules, clusters, solutions and solid state materials, ab initio and classical molecular dynamics simulations.
- ºMECH661 3(3-0-0). Theory/Control of Internal Combustion Engines. S
Theory and applications of internal combustion engines. Alternative fuels, engine control, and pollution prevention.
- ºMECH671 3(3-0-0). Orthopedic Tissue Biomechanics. F
Prerequisites: BIOM470 OR BIOM570 OR MECH570 OR MECH470
Linear elastic, finite deformaion, and viscoelastic theories applied to the mechanical behavior of orthopedic tissues (bone, tendon, cartilate).
- MECH676 3(2-2-0). Building Energy Design. S
Design of space heating and cooling systems. Solar thermal electric power systems, industrial and agricultural process heat.
- MECH684 0(0-0-0). Supervised College Teaching. F, S, SS
- MECH692 0(0-0-0). Seminar. F, S
- MECH695A 0(0-0-0). Independent Study-Bioengineering. F, S, SS
- MECH695B 0(0-0-0). Independent Study-Energy Conversion. F, S, SS
- MECH695C 0(0-0-0). Independent Study-Environmental Engineering. F, S, SS
- MECH695D 0(0-0-0). Independent Study-Heat and Mass Transfer. F, S, SS
- MECH695E 0(0-0-0). Independent Study-Industrial and Systems Engineering. F, S, SS
- MECH695F 0(0-0-0). Independent Study-Mechanics and Design. F, S, SS
- MECH695G 0(0-0-0). Independent Study-Computer-Assisted Engineering. F, S, SS
- MECH695H 0(0-0-0). Independent Study-Robotics. F, S, SS
- MECH695I 0(0-0-0). Independent Study-Solar Engineering. F, S, SS
- MECH695J 0(0-0-0). Independent Study-Computational Fluids. F, S, SS
- MECH695K 0(0-0-0). Independent Study-Materials. F, S, SS
- MECH695L 0(0-0-0). Independent Study-Plasma engineering. F, S, SS
- MECH695M 0(0-0-0). Independent Study-Motorsport engineering. F, S, SS
- MECH699L 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Plasma Engineering. F, S, SS
- MECH699M 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Motorsport Engineering. F, S, SS
- MECH699A 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Bioengineering. SS
- MECH699B 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Energy Conversion. SS
- MECH699C 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Environmental Engineering. SS
- MECH699D 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Heat and Mass Transfer. SS
- MECH699E 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Industrial and Systems Engineering. SS
- MECH699F 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Mechanics and Design. SS
- MECH699G 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Computer-Assisted Engineering. SS
- MECH699H 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Robotics. SS
- MECH699I 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Solar Engineering. SS
- MECH699J 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Computational Fluids. SS
- MECH699K 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Materials. SS
- MECH699A 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Bioengineering. F, S
- MECH699B 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Energy Conversion. F, S
- MECH699C 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Environmental Engineering. F, S
- MECH699D 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Heat and Mass Transfer. F, S
- MECH699E 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Industrial and Systems Engineering. F, S
- MECH699F 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Mechanics and Design. F, S
- MECH699G 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Computer-Assisted Engineering. F, S
- MECH699H 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Robotics. F, S
- MECH699I 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Solar Engineering. F, S
- MECH699J 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Computational Fluids. F, S
- MECH699K 0(0-0-0). Thesis-Materials. F, S
- ºMECH721 0(0-0-0). Special Topics in Design and Manufacturing. S
Prerequisites: MECH514 OR MECH620
Special topics in engineering design and manufacturing.
- *MECH727 3(3-0-0). Continuum Mechanics. S
Mechanics of continuous media; cartesian tensors, vector analysis, kinematics of deformation, balance of momentum, mass and energy, constitutive equations.
- MECH729 3(3-0-0). Special Topics in Mechanics and Materials. S
Prerequisites: MECH524 OR MECH530
Advanced topics in discipline of engineering mechanics and materials; associated analysis and manufacturing techniques.
- MECH784 0(0-0-0). Supervised College Teaching. F, S, SS
- MECH799A 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Bioengineering. SS
- MECH799B 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Energy Conversion. SS
- MECH799C 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Environmental Engineering. SS
- MECH799D 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Heat and Mass Transfer. SS
- MECH799E 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Industrial and Systems Engineering. SS
- MECH799F 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Mechanics and Design. SS
- MECH799G 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Computer-Assisted Engineering. SS
- MECH799H 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Robotics. SS
- MECH799I 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Solar Engineering. SS
- MECH799J 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Computational Fluids. SS
- MECH799K 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Materials. SS
- MECH799A 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Bioengineering. F, S
- MECH799B 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Energy Conversion. F, S
- MECH799C 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Environmental Engineering. F, S
- MECH799D 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Heat and Mass Transfer. F, S
- MECH799E 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Industrial and Systems Engineering. F, S
- MECH799F 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Mechanics and Design. F, S
- MECH799G 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Computer-Assisted Engineering. F, S
- MECH799H 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Robotics. F, S
- MECH799I 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Solar Engineering. F, S
- MECH799J 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Computational Fluids. F, S
- MECH799K 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Materials. F, S
- MECH799L 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Plasma Engineering. F, S, SS
- MECH799M 0(0-0-0). Dissertation-Motorsport Engineering. F, S, SS