Engineering Network Services - CSU
File Space Information
When you log onto a Windows-based computer on the ENS domain, you will have access to network disk drives that have pre-defined mappings. Your directories access is determined by your academic department and whether you are a student or faculty/staff. ENS provides standard network backups of all network mappings listed below.
Basic Directory Structure
- T: - This is the "top" of the directory structure. The other drives (S:, V:, U: and Z:) point to directories within the T: drive.
- S: - This is the software directory. It provides access to software and other resources on the network. In general, there will be no need to access the S: drive directly. However, software running off the network needs the S: drive connection.
- U: - This is your personal network file space.
- V: - If you are faculty or staff, you will have access to the V drive. (Students will not have a V drive.) This drive gives you access to your academic department's workspace.
For example, if you belong to the Civil Engineering Department, your V drive would give you access to the "T:\academic\CE" directory. It is preferred that you use the V drive rather than the same location in the T drive.
- Z: - If you are a student employed by an Engineering department, or department staff, you may have access to the Z drive. This drive gives you access to your academic department's shared student worker workspace.
For example, if you work for the Civil Engineering Department, your Z drive would give you access to the "T:\academic\CE\Student-Employees" directory. It is preferred that you use the Z drive rather than the same location in the T drive.
T: drive subfolders
- academic - College of Engineering academic departments V:drive area. It is divided into directories corresponding to each of the engineering programs.
- admin - College of Engineering Administrative departments V:Drive area.
- college/academic - Home directories for faculty and staff. It is divided into directories corresponding to each of the engineering programs.
- college/admin - Home directories for faculty and staff within the administrative departments of the College of Engineering.
- classes - Home directories for each instructor's class within the College of Engineering. The classes are divided into folders
representing each of the major academic programs and divided again into the respective class.
- committees - This is space set aside for all committees within the College of Engineering.
- projects - Directories for current projects being worked on by both faculty and students.
- student_orgs - Working directories for all student organizations within the College of Engineering.
- students - Home directories for all Engineering students.
V: drive: Your group network space
Only faculty or staff will have access to the V: drive. This drive is set aside for the department or group you work in. It can be found on the network at:
T:\<academic or admin>\<Department abbreviation>
The shortcut to this location is your V: drive. Under this drive you will find three directories: GroupFiles, people and public.
- GroupFiles - This folder will contain any number of directories or files meant to be used by the group as a whole.
- public - This directory is set aside for any files that would need to be shared with someone outside of your Department.
- Student-Employees - This folder is shared space where administrative staff can shared documents with their student employees.
This document last modified Thursday November 03, 2016