Abstract: Plasma is the fourth state of matters that breaks a gas into free particles including: electrons, positive and negative ions, reactive radicals and neutral Atoms and molecules. Polar aurorae, lightning, the sun and stars are examples of naturally generated plasma. One can also generate artificial plasma such as in fluorescent light. In semiconductor industry, many of the manufacturing process employ low pressure RF plasmas for creating and treating thin films. Plasma can also be employed for biomedical applications such as sterilization, surface modification of implant materials and for augmenting surgery.
Electrosurgery is one of the common medical tools to simultaneously cut biological tissue and coagulate blood flow. Basically, electrosurgery use thermal energy generated by ohmic heating P=I2R in the incision region. The heat spreads out from the incision region and damages contiguous nearby tissue that may lead to delayed wound healing and increased postoperative pain. A combination of electrosurgery and plasma chemistry will be presented for tissue removal with less heat generation but maintaining fast dissection of bulk tissue. Reactive chemical species such as OH and Cl were generated to provide chemical reaction in addition to the I2 R thermal reaction for tissue removal.
In addition, tooth whitening with hybrid water-gas plasma will be presented as tooth stain removal with high density of reactive OH generated by argon plasma in DI water. This CSU plasma tooth whitening is free from using high density of toxic hydrogen peroxide and has short treatment time compared to the conventional treatment.
Adviser: Prof. George J. Collins Co-Adviser: N/A Non-ECE Member: Prof. Dean A. Hendrickson Member 3: Prof. Branislav M Notaros Addional Members: Dr. Masahiro Watanabe
Publications: 14. Il Gyo Koo, Paul Y. Kim, Jae-Chul Jung, Yoonsun Kim, Myeong Yeol Choi, George J. Collins*, “Selective Epidermis Removal by Low Gas Temperature RF Driven Open Air Argon Plasma Designed for Low UV Emission”, under review (2012)
13. Myeong Yeol Choi, Il Gyo Koo, Jinhoon Cho, Sung Kil Kang, Jae-Chul Jung and George J. Collins, “Molecular spectroscopy study of tissue removal mechanisms for atmospheric He-H2O2 plasma torch irradiation", under review (2012).
12. Myoung Soo Kim, Il Gyo Koo, Myeong Yeol Choi, Jae-Chul Jung, Fathala Eldali,Jae Koo Lee, George J. Collins “Correlated Electrical and Optical Studies of a Hybrid Argon Gas- Water Plasmas and their Application to Tooth Whitening”, Plasma Processes and Polymers, 9 (2012) 339.
11. G Y Park, S J Park, M Y Choi, I G Koo, J H Byun, J W Hong, J Y Sim, G J Collins, and J K Lee, "Atmospheric-Pressure Plasma Sources for Biomedical Applications”, Plasma Sources Science and Technology, 21 (2012) 043001.
10. Myeong Yeol Choi , Il Gyo Koo, Paul Y. Kim, Sung Kil Kang, Yoon-Sun Kim, Jae-Chul Jung and George J. Collins*, “Helium / H2O2 Atmospheric Pressure Plasma-Assisted Electrosurgery”, Plasma Processes and Polymers, 2012, DOI: 10.1002/ppap.201200003 (early view publication)
9. Jae-Chul Jung, Il Gyo Koo*, Myeong Yeol Choi, Zengqi Yu, Myung-Soo Kim and George J. Collins*, “An Electrical Thrombectomy Device Using Plasma Created Chemistry in a Saline Environment to Dissolve Vascular Clots”, Plasma Processes and Polymers, 9 (2012) 463.
8. Sung Kil Kang, Paul Y. Kim, Il Gyo Koo, Ho Young Kim, Jae-Chul Jung, Myeong Yeol Choi, Jae Koo Lee and George J. Collins, “Non-Stick Polymer Coatings for Energy-Based Surgical Devices Employed in Vessel Sealing", Plasma Processes and Polymers, 9 (2012) 446
7. Il Gyo Koo, Cameron A. Moore, Myeong Yeol Choi, Gon Jun Kim, Paul Y. Kim, Yoon-Sun Kim, Zengqi Yu and George J. Collins, “Chemical-Driven Tissue Removal and Removal Profiles by Atmospheric Plasma Irradiation” Plasma Processes and Polymers, 8 (2011) 1103
6. Paul Y. Kim, Yoon-Sun Kim, Il Gyo Koo, Jae Chul Jung, Gon Jun Kim, Myeong Yeol Choi, Zengqi Yu and George J. Collins, “Bacterial Inactivation of Wound Infection in a Human Skin Model by Liquid-Phase Discharge Plasma", PLoS ONE, 6 (2011) e24104
5. Sung Kil Kang, Myeong Yeol Choi, Il Gyo Koo, Paul Y. Kim, Yoonsun Kim, Gon Jun Kim, Abdel-Aleam H. Mohamed, George J. Collins and Jae Koo Lee, "Reactive Hydroxyl Radical-driven oral bacterial inactivation by Radio Frequency Atmospheric Plasma”, Applied Physics Letter. 98 (2012) 143702
4. I. G. Koo, Myeong Yeol Choi, Jong Hoon Kim, Jin Hoon Cho, and W. M. Lee*, “Microdischarge in Porous Ceramics with Atmospheric Pressure High Temperature H2O/SO2 Gas Mixture and its Application for Hydrogen Production”, Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, 47 (2008) 4705-4709
3. Jong Hoon Kim, Juhee Sohn, Jin Hoon Cho, Myeong Yeol Choi, Il Gyo Koo, Woong Moo Lee*, “Surface Modification of Nafion Membrane by Atmospheric Pressure Low Temperature Plasma for Electrochemical Applications”, Plasma Processes and Polymers, 5 (2008) 377-385
2. J. H. Cho, I. G. Koo, M. Y. Choi, and W. M. Lee, “Ozone production by nanoporous dielectric barrier glow discharge in atmospheric pressure air”, Applied Physics Letters, 92 (2008) 101504
1. I. G. Koo, J. H. Cho, M. Y. Choi, and W. M. Lee, “Room-temperature slot microplasma in atmospheric pressure air between cylindrical electrodes with a nanoporous alumina dielectric”, Applied Physics Letters, 91 (2007) 041502
Program of Study: ECE562 ECE569 ECE641 ECE680A1 ECE695 ECE799 CHEM579 N/A